Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Week 5 "Photoshop"


Learning about some of the history of Photoshop and the basics of how to use the program was extremely interesting. When I used to think of Photoshop I thought of current magazines and tabloids. I never really thought about historic pictures that the photographer tweaked the image by adding a missing person or changing a person from a female to a male. Photoshop seems like once you get the hang of it you can create just about anything with a few clicks of a button.

I can see how Photoshop will incorporate inside of the classroom of Kindergartners but at the same time I am not sure if it is going to be a program that I will use on a regular basis. Kids believe what they see and if I take an image of a pig and add wings to it they are going to believe that those wings belong on that pig and that pigs can fly. I feel that since I will be an educator I will need to be very particular on what I will show my students because I don't want them to have false images of particular subjects.

This photo shows a before and after Photoshop of the same person. I chose this picture because I feel by changing the model to look thinner and "more attractive" we are giving children the wrong message. What this picture should be doing is embracing the inner beauty, so children don't think they need to alter their looks to be accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment